Our primary goal is to maintain the generation plant and its equipment allowing it to operate at the highest efficiency and at the lowest cost of production. This is achieved through the Company’s local staff, who are specialists in all areas of operation and maintenance of equipment and machinery in accordance with international standards followed in power plants. The Company has successfully accomplished significant achievements in 2020, summarized as follows:
- Power Output: For the second year, the power plant continued to operate with the highest availability and generation outputs. This was due to the stability of fuel supplies and the preparedness of the power plant to generate power at full load capacity.
- Fuel Supply: In contrast to previous years in which the Company suffered from a severe shortage of fuel supplies, the availability of fuel was three times more this year compared to the previous years. This contributed to the continuous operation of three turbines most of the times, with the exception of a few days where the supply of fuel was interrupted due to the closure of border crossings.
- Fuel Storage: Work is ongoing to rebuild the main fuel tank with a capacity of 10 million liters through the cooperation and coordination of all relevant parties through funding from a donor. This vital project is expected to be completed during the first half of 2021, which will end the fuel storage problem that the Company has suffered from for years because of the destruction of the power plant fuel tanks during the Israeli air strikes on the Gaza Strip in 2014.
- Major Maintenance: Our local team have succeeded in carrying out the main maintenance work for two gas turbines with the technical assistance from the international maintenance Company by means of remote communication.
- Periodic Maintenance: Our experienced technical team continued to implement and accomplish all the necessary periodic maintenance requirements for the facilities of the power plant in order to maintain the plant’s equipment and its preparedness to generate power at all times.
- Utilizing New Tools and Methodologies: Despite all obstacles, the Company has continued to import the latest diagnostics and measuring devices that have proven to greatly enhance the operations and maintenance and fault detection programs. These tools reduced the time for troubleshooting and allowed for corrective and preventive maintenance to be successfully performed in record time compared to previous years.
Despite the uncertainties and challenges that the Company faces due to restrictions or delays in importing some materials and equipment to Gaza, the Company shall keep exerting as much technical efforts as possible to execute its current and future plans during 2021. Some of these plans are as follows:
- Major Maintenance Plans: Our technical team will carry out the necessary major maintenance for the turbines during 2021, according to the approved plans and programs.
- Commissioning of the new 10 Million liters Fuel Storage Tank: Participate in the supervision of the construction works of the new 10 million litters fuel tank, which is planned to be ready for handover during the first half of 2021. The Company will make its best to integrate it with the existing systems and ensure that testing and commissioning activities will be in accordance with international standards.
- Conversion of Power Plant to operate with Natural Gas: The Company is currently working with the plant manufacturer and other international companies to complete all technical aspects related to the conversion of the power plant to operate with natural gas, once it becomes available.
- Developing the CMMS: The IT Department will implement new features to complete the customization of this system as per the latest international standard in the maintenance field.
The Company aims to maintain the continuity of electricity production with the highest possible efficiencies by developing its facilities, all in accordance with a mechanism that protects its rights and fulfils its obligations.